The New London Garden Club was founded in October, 1928 with 24 members and Dr. Anna Littlefield, physician, gardener and botanical artist, as its first president.
The purpose of the Club was to assist in the maintenance of the garden recently designed and planted at the library by the world-renowned firm, Olmsted Brothers Landscape Architects. The planting of the grounds was part of Jane Tracy’s generous gift to the Town of New London for its first library building and community center. Today the Garden at Tracy Library is an independent organization maintained by volunteers from the Garden Club and the community under the direction of a professional gardener.
During the Club’s early years, it was known for the remarkable flower shows that funded the Club’s ever-expanding civic beautification program. For many years the Club's major fundraiser was the Annual Antique Show and Sale.
Today Club members assist with maintenance at many civic beautification sites in New London, provide hospital flower care and volunteer at the Garden at Tracy Library and the gardens at the Fells in Newbury. In December, Club Members make wreaths for public buildings in New London. The Club's monthly educational meetings are usually held on the second Tuesday of each month. All the educational programs are open to the public, and topics are varied but always with the purpose of enriching knowledge of horticulture, floral and garden design, conservation and civic beauty. Members are always welcome to bring a guest and the public is encouraged to attend.
The Club's records are stored in the Town Archives in the basement of the Academy Building/Town offices. Of interest are yearly scrapbooks, flower show schedules (listing design categories,, horticulture and special exhibits) as well as yearly calendar books.